I can keep silent no longer.
I’m amazed at how mute many, if not most evangelical churches in Australia are about the tragedy of abortion. It’s akin to many Christians† in Germany who, after the Second World War, stated that they new nothing of the extermination of six million Jews right under their noses.
I’ve started conversation with fellow Christians about the abortion issue in Australia. Most respond uncomfortably about the subject and it’s clear they would rather not talk about it. When I point out that we live in a state that is reported to have the most draconian abortion laws in the world, the response is incredulity. The Australian Family Association suggests that the church is “intimidated by the feminist rhetoric”‡.
The Victorian abortion law legalises abortion to occur at any time, even right up to birth. It allows inhumane partial-birth abortion. It also compels Victorian doctors to refer their patients to other doctors who will perform abortions despite their opinions on abortion. The personal conscience of Victorian nurses is also removed. No independent counselling is provided, and no pain relief for the baby is required. The Victorian Parliament also ensured that babies born alive despite their abortions (ie abortion “failures”) will not survive.
Abortion in Australia
If, after viewing this video, it isn’t obvious to you that this law legalises state sanctioned murder, perhaps these “Ten Reasons Why it is Wrong to Take the Life of Unborn Children”, written by John Piper will. [Read the full text of this quote from John Piper.]
2. The destruction of conceived human life – whether embryonic, fetal, or viable – is an assault on the unique person-forming work of God.
3. Aborting unborn humans falls under the repeated biblical ban against “shedding innocent blood.”
4. The Bible frequently expresses the high priority God puts on the protection and provision and vindication of the weakest and most helpless and most victimized members of the community.
5. By judging difficult and even tragic human life as a worse evil than taking life, abortionists contradict the widespread biblical teaching that God loves to show His gracious power through suffering and not just by helping people avoid suffering.
6. It is a sin of presumption to justify abortion by taking comfort in the fact that all these little children will go to heaven or even be given full adult life in the resurrection.
7. The Bible commands us to rescue our neighbor who is being unjustly led away to death.
8. Aborting unborn children falls under Jesus’ rebuke of those who spurned children as inconvenient and unworthy of the Savior’s attention.
9. It is the right of God the Maker to give and to take human life. It is not our individual right to make this choice.
10. Finally, saving faith in Jesus Christ brings forgiveness of sins and cleansing of conscience and help through life and hope for eternity. Surrounded by such omnipotent love, every follower of Jesus is free from the greed and fear that might lure a person to forsake these truths in order to gain money or avoid reproach.
Laws can be repealed or amended. Write your member of Parliament to express your concern over this. You can obtain contact information here.
13 “You shall not murder.